Wednesday, April 25, 2012

Pak Kon Diao (I live/sleep alone)


Thai woman: (in English) Where do you live?
Me: Over there (I gesture towards my house, about half a block a way)
Thai woman: Who do you sleep with?
Me: No one
Thai woman: Why?
Me: Because I don't have a girlfriend.
Thai woman: I think you spoke wrong. You should have said “boyfriend”.
Me: Nope. Mai chop puu-chai. (I don't like men).
Thai woman: Why?
Me: Because I'm lesbian.

Bits and parts of this conversation are repeated on nearly a daily basis. If someone isn't asking me where I live, or who I live with, they are surely asking me about my sexual orientation. I guess I'm lucky in that regard, many Peace Corps volunteers are sent to countries that they have to hide their orientation. Not so much here in Thailand. In fact, I was outed at my site within, oh about a week after getting here. Let me set the stage for you: one of the most common questions a Thai person will ask you (after where you from) is mii faan ru yung? (Do you have partner or not?). I kept responding, no, no, no and they just couldn't believe it. {ok, in all honesty, I did kinda have a girlfriend at the time, but I knew it wasn't going to last and I just figured it would be easier just to say no then to go through the whole “we broke up thing”} Anyway, one night hanging out with my host family and my host father's niece (and our neighbor- her name is Pong, btw) I was showing them pictures of my American family on my computer. I have the Iphoto thingy where you can tag faces, so I was scrolling through all my different friends/family to find the pictures to show them....

Pong: (in English) Who's that? Is he your boyfriend.
Me: No. I don't have a boyfriend.
Pong: Do you like men?
Me: silence
Pong: Do you like men?
Me: No.
Pong: Do you like women?
Me: Yes, ok?!
Pong: (in Thai to the rest of the family) Mai chop puu-chai, bpen Tom. (She doesn't like men, she's a lesbian)

The family all looked at me for a moment.

Pong: Mai bpen rai (ain't no thang)

Pong then quickly took it upon herself to inform everyone any time we were together that I don't like men. For a while, nearly every week the ladies in the Education Department (Pong is a kindergarten teacher at my Tesaban's nursery school, which shares facilities with the Education Department) would bring up the topic of my sexual orientation. Sometimes they would ask why I don't like men, sometimes they would ask why I like women. Sometimes I would try to explain the difference between a Tom and a lesbian (a Tom is basically a butch dyke, a lesbian that takes on the mannerisms of a man- in typical Thai fashion, there's not much distinction made between a homosexual and a transgendered. More on this later). One of my favorite conversations went something like this:
Pii Netr: (in Thai) Nico, ta mai mai chop puu-chai? (Why don't you like men)
Pii Van: (in Thai) Nico mai chop puu-chai pra wa Nico mai oaw luuk (Nico doesn't like men cause she doesn't want kids).

This statement is pretty illuminating when it comes to the issue of sexual orientation in Thailand. To my Thai friends, it made perfect sense that I would be a lesbian because I don't want to have kids. The same way it makes perfect sense to some Thai ladies to suddenly decide they may want to give puu-ying (women) a shot when they meet me. {I don't know if its because I'm so irresistible, or because I'm so irresistibly farang (foreign)} No joke. This has happened a number of times, either someone will say she used to like men, but now she likes me, or tell me she wants to be my faan, or just act in a way that is awfully, awfully suspiciously like flirting. Its confusing to shift through all these layers of cultural differences- is she flirting because she likes me, or is she flirting cause she likes farang? Is she really a lesbian/bi, or is she just playing one for the farang? Is she even really flirting? I recently had a crazy experience with a Thai woman who told me she would find me a girlfriend, but then later decided she wanted to be my girlfriend. Later it turned out she already had some Canadian boyfriend or something. I don't necessarily think this is an uncommon sort of occurrence. Another PCV I know (no names) was dating a Thai lady for a while. After they broke up, it turned out she had had a girlfriend on the side the whole time. Just the other day he told me about a Thai women he knows that has been married to a male farang for 20 years, but is really a lesbian. In general, Thailand is quite accepting of genderqueers, homosexuals, bisexuals, and everything in between. This, however, does not stop them from making endless comments about such people, or asking endless questions to farang about such people (or about themselves, if you happen to be one). They like to ask me if we have kaotoeies in America (a Kaotoey is a somewhat derogatory name for a transgendered male. It is pretty much assumed all gay men are Katoeies), then tell me they have a lot in Thailand. The point out young kids and tell me they are Katoeies, or (if they're female) the same as me. One time, I tried to explain to them that I wasn't really a Tom (In Thailand, they have Toms and Dees, basically butch and fems. I'm clearly not a Dee, but I assume they think that Toms are women that want to be men. Maybe this is just me not really understanding Thailand). Anyway- the conversation went a little like this:

Pii Netr: (In Thai) Nico bpen Tom, chia mai? (You're a Tom, right?)
Me: (In Thai) Mai. Nico mai chop puu-chai, chop puu-ying, dtee mai yaak bpen puu-chai. Kaow jai mai? Nico bpen puu-ying, dtee mai bpen puu-ying puu-ying (No. I don't like men and I like women, but I don't want to be a man. Do you understand? I'm a women, just not a girly girl.- ok this last part probably wasn't said right, but oh well)
Pii Netr: blank look

The thing about Katoeies and Toms, or saao bpra-payt song (a women with two parts) is that they consider them (or us, I should say) a third gender. Some one who is not one or the other, but both. But what person (gay or straight or what have you) doesn't have a little of the other gender in them? The point is, given my limited understanding of the whole issue, a saao bpra-payt song isn't really a person of one gender that wants to be (or identifies as) the other, but a person that is beyond the limiting dynamics of a two-gender system. The concept of a third gender is hard for a lot of my other PCV friends to understand, and I think its equally hard for a lot of Thai people to comprehend. Regardless, the acceptance of the fact of the existence of a third gender has been around in Thailand a hell of a lot longer then it has been in America. Given this option of a third gender, I do wonder where I actually fall. I know I'm a lady, and I'm happy being one; but damn if I don't conform to the gender standards American (and Thai) culture sets out for me. But is this an indication of my internal gender identification, or an indication of the fuck-upness of our cultural constructs of gender? Part of me would just automatically place myself in the third gender category just for the sake of being different. But again, how much of how I behave and act (contrary to established gender roles) has to do with my gender vs the constructs of gender? I know Thai women make me feel like a hulking butch, because I tower over them and don't wear make-up or skirts and I'm not afraid of insects/geckos and I can walk more than a block without passing out. But there are other PCVs (female) that do/don't do all of that, and I'm sure they would never put themselves in a third gender category. Does my sexual orientation change my perception of my gender? If given the choice between a Tom and a Dee, I would probably go for the Dee (although, actually I would probably be happier with the Tom) does this make me more or less of a Tom? Do I have to wear skirts and make-up to be a Dee? Do I have to look like a boy to be a Tom? Is my love of androgyny an indication of my third gender? Or do I just hate labels and categories? I recently had a gay friend from America come and visit. One night, we crashed a wedding (not really, I wasn't invited, but as we walked towards we were waved over). Towards the end of the night, we were hanging out with some of my male friends and Phil got up to pee.

Su-su: (In Thai): Puan bpen puu-chai or puu-ying? (Is your friend a man or a woman?)
Me: laugh
Su-su: (In Thai): Kao bpen puu-ying lae Nico bpen puu-chai!!! (He's a woman and you're a man!)

We all laughed hysterically.

If it bothered me every time a Thai person assumed something about me, or other farangs, I would be in deep shit. They think all farangs drink black coffee and it will turn your skin white (cause I do, and I have it). They think all farangs have hairy legs (cause I do). They think all farangs are rich (not because I am, they just think that). They think I want to go to Pattaya (cause there's a lot of farangs there). They think all farangs live alone (because I do, and well, maybe I told them that so they would get off my back about living alone). They think I'm a student of Thai culture, that I'm a Christian, that I'm going have some sort of job placement when I get back to America. They think I'm German, or English, or that all farangs are the same. They think there's a passa farang (a foreigner's language). Sometimes they think I'm part Thai and that my mother is Thai and my father is a farang. They think farang men like dark skinned Thais (because a lot of farang prey on the poor in Isaan- who tend to be darker skinned then Central Thais). Part of being a Peace Corps volunteer is dispelling some of these myths. Teaching people that farang are just like them, that we're not all whore chasing, rich bastards. And part of Peace Corps is teaching all of you back in America that all Thai women aren't whores, that there's more to this country than Pattaya and that both the phenomena of Thai/farang marriages and Pattaya have their roots in the Vietnam war (ok, maybe that last one isn't officially sanctioned by the US government, but isn't it time we started accepting our country's impact around the world?).

When my first host family learned that I would eventually be living by myself they got worried and kept asking who would take care of me. (funny enough, when my host father asked me that, I didn't know what he was saying and looked it up in the dictionary. What he was saying was chuai eng, which means “help yourself” or “masturbate”. I thought for a second he was asking me if I would masturbate when I lived alone. That little mix-up payed off later when my friends were talking about masturbation and I could understand what they were saying). When the topic came up with my host family at site they kept worrying about who would take care of me, and if I would be lonely and why I wanted to live alone. I agreed that I would keep coming to their house to eat, and I said I wouldn't be lonely and that I wanted to live alone because sometimes farang just want their space and to be alone. They told me Thais think that's lonely and that they like being around lots of people all the time.

A couple months ago, I actually considered trying to find a new person to move in with. I realized I was getting lonely and my language was going down hill. Coincidently, around that time, one of my best Thai friends killed himself. He was a well-known and well-liked member of the community, and it came as a shock to all of us. He was an only child, and after he died, his mother now was living alone. I knew how much his death has upset her, and how little Thai people like sleeping/living alone. I decided I would spend a couple nights with her in an attempt to show my concern, since I didn't know how to do with language. I think it really touched her, and she began to say that I should move in. I thought about it for a while, but then she started chasing me down when I was out and I started to get resentful and I realized that I like to live alone not because I'm a farang, or I like to be alone or I like my personal space (although I do like to be alone and like my personal space) but because people generally bug the shit outta me, and I can only take them for so long before I start to resent everything about everything. Which is probably a personal problem I should work on....

No comments:

Post a Comment